Other Helpful Links:
Legal Updates on calrealestatelaw.com
California Association of Realtors
Shannon B. Jones
University of Southern California, Juris Doctor, May 1990
University of Southern California, Bachelor of Science
Public Administration, May 1987
Deans Honors List, 1985-1987
Shannon B. Jones Law Group, formerly Law Offices of Shannon B. Jones
October 1998 through Present
Partner/Owner - Represents parties in litigation and transactions with a particular emphasis in real estate and general business. Specializes in representing real estate agents, brokerages and parties in real estate transactions and disputes, including general counseling and dispute avoidance, Department of Real Estate claims, general litigation including mediation, arbitration and trial. Currently, represents approximately 5,000 agents in Northern California. Additional experience includes: commercial litigation and transactions; construction defect litigation; premises liability; unlawful detainer actions; insurance litigation; and partnership and corporate disputes. Handled hundreds of mediations, and settlement conferences for courts. Ms. Jones is approved by the California Association of Realtors as defense counsel for real estate brokerages.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold
October 1998 through 2004
Of Counsel - Works with the firm on a variety of real estate, construction and business matters, including several multi-million dollar actions arising out of construction deficiencies.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold
July 1993 through October 1998
Associate - Represented clients in all aspects of litigation from the filing of the complaint through trial, including the following types of matters: real estate brokerage defense; real estate agent disciplinary matters; commission recovery cases; construction defect defense; insurance defense; insurance coverage; premises liability; breach of contract; and general tort defense. Successfully represented an insurance company in $125 million bad faith action.
Bowles & Verna
September 1990 through July 1993
Associate - Represented clients in real estate transactions and disputes. Time was split defending real estate brokerages and defending insurance companies.
Wells Fargo Bank, NA, Legal Department
August 1989 through May 1990
Law Clerk - Prepared real estate agreements including loan agreements, guaranties and other loan related documents.
Attorney, California Bar, admitted 1990
Real Estate Broker, licensed 1990
Real Estate Salesperson, licensed 1988
Publications and Presentations
- Member, California Association of Realtors ("CAR") Strategic Defense Panel.
- Certified Instructor by California Department of Real Estate.
- Approved GRI Instructor.
- Regular Presenter, CAR Legal Affairs Forum.
- Regular Presenter, CAR Risk Management Meetings.
- Monthly column for CCAR Today (Contra Costa Association of Realtors' Monthly Magazine).
- Monthly column for Certified Residential Specialists.
- Monthly column for Contra Costa Women's Council of Realtors publication, 2007.
- Key Note Speaker at the San Diego Association of Realtor's Expo.
- Presenter, Tri-Annual Contra Costa Association of Realtors Risk Management Seminars, 2005-Present.
- "A Real Estate Agent's Practical Guide to Avoiding Litigation," Book published in 1998 regarding real estate law. Book was recommended by several insurance companies and was the No. 3 best selling real estate book for Amazon.com in October 1998
- "Top Ten Tips for Avoiding Litigation," Lawyer's Weekly, 2000
- "Woe to Those Agents Who Take Real Estate Sales Legalities Lightly," The Real Estate Professional, September/October 1999
- "Legal Corner," Monthly Column in Broker-Agent Magazine, Bay Area Edition
California Association of Realtors; Women's Council of Realtors, State Meeting; California Association of Realtors Expert Witnesses; Contra Costa Association of Realtors; Santa Clara Association of Realtors; Greater Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Association of Realtors; San Benito Board of Realtors; KERN Real Estate Hour (Radio); Women's Council of Realtors, Contra Costa; Women's Council of Realtors, Southern Alameda; Tri-Valley Real Estate Marketing Group; San Ramon Valley Real Estate Marketing Group; Bay East Association of Realtors; Berkeley Association of Realtors; Oakland Association of Realtors; Delta Association of Realtors; Sacramento Association of Realtors; Marin Association of Realtors; Northern Solano Board of Realtors; and numerous real estate brokerages and organizations.
Regular training of agents of Contra Costa Association of Realtors, Pacific Union Real Estate Group, Ltd. and RE/MAX Accord.